Saturday 12 September 2009

A folksy 12 month

1975

Looking back on my secondary school years I realise now that I never really fitted in with the girly thing of screaming at bands and getting all stupid over pop stars. I was always more comfortable hanging out with lads my own age and listening to "cool" music. This, I think, explains why I always felt like a fish out of water at the school disco and at the youth club etc. The girl next door was into BIG Barry White but it was "not my bag baby"

I listened to lots of stuff in 1975. I loved Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Sweet, Slade, Mud, Queen, Bad Company, Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens, Carly Simon, Emmylou Harris, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Styx, Jethro Tull, Nazereth, Pink Floyd and Status Quo

It turned out to be quite a folksy 12 month in many ways and I really loved the folk song "All Around My Hat" by Steeleye Span. And if anyone should ask me, the reason why I like it, I would have to say "Gawd knows - what was all that about?"

On a cooler note, I discovered Rush. I listened to their album "Caress of Steel", loved the track "Bastille Day" and had to have it - oh yes - it will be mine!

















On the telly in 1975

I watched ..... Captain Pugwash, The Sweeney, The Good Life, Supersonic, Top of the Pops, The Old Grey Whistle Test, Fawlty Towers, The Goodies, Magic Roundabout, Rhoda and The Mary Tyler Moore Show










I also remember seeing the film "Tommy" but I'm not sure if this was on the telly in 1975 or whether I saw it on telly later. I've seen it a few times since but it's all a bit of a blur

Still flogging away (through rain, rain, cold and rain) with the paper round I managed to save up and get Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. Now don't we all love the classic "Man on the Silver Mountain" and "Catch the Rainbow"

















I can't have been all that well off for pocket money coz I didn't buy many records that year and only a few singles:

Bay City Rollers - Give A Little Love
Status Quo - Down Down
Status Quo - Roll Over Lay Down
Sweet - Ballroom Blitz
Sweet - Fox on the Run

It was 1975 and I was aged 13 !!

myspace backgrounds images
Decided to put Steeleye Span on Miss Heavy Metal Radio for a giggle and had a little jig all around my hat for a while. I've left it playing on Steeleye Span Radio
while I write this. Now playing Fotheringay - "Gypsy Davey", Fairport Convention, John Renbourne "The Earle of Salisbury" which has a medievel sound to it with someone playing the spoons, Planxty - Only Our Rivers (is nice!), Ewan MacColl - Dirty Old Town, Silly Wizard ..... bloody 'ell I'm nodding into me beer. I'll be watching Wuthering Heights next!

It was a very sociable week so I didn't lose any weight, but didn't gain any either! Phew! So, I'm gonna have a good week ..... buy a new TShirt, listen to some great music and go see a band on Friday night .....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice to know you're out there ...
THANKS FOR YOUR VISIT!
Miss Heavy Metal